Facetime for iPhone / iPad / MAC | Ultimate Guide for Using Facetime on iOS Device
Facetime is one of the most popular video and audio calling app which is available exclusively to the Apple device users, be it iPhones, iPad or MAC systems. It functions just like a regular phone but uses the Wi-Fi and cellular data instead of the standard phone line. It can be used on any and between any two Apple devices, be it iPad, iPhones, MAC or even iPod touch. The latest Facetime HD camera gives you such terrific picture that you experience a life-like feel. Despite the fact that it cannot be used outside of Apple devices, it is still a fantastic app. Here, we would walk through the various aspects of Facetime video calling app for all Apple devices.
How to use FaceTime on iPhone, iPad and MAC:
Steps to Activate Facetime on iPhones
The requirement for Facetime activation varies with the model of the iPhones. Till iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, you cannot use Facetime without a Wi-Fi connection. However, for all models above iPhone 4S and higher like iPhone 7 or iPhone 8, the app can be used with a cellular connection as well. The activation of the app gets typically completed with the initial setup of the device. Apart from it, you can activate Facetime in many different ways when using an iPhone. We are considering iPhone 6 here. Steps can vary slightly depending on the iPhone version. The different ways are:-
- You might need to go to Settings and select the Facetime app. Now enter your phone number and Apple Id, alternate email, timings during which you can be contacted via Facetime. Next, you need to slide the tab beside it to ‘On’ position so that the light at the top of the screen goes green. The Facetime has been activated.
- In the first method, you launch the ‘Contacts’ app from the home screen. It will activate the Facetime app.
- You can select the contact and then tap the Facetime symbol to activate the app.
- You can also tap the ‘Facetime’ button anywhere including the keypad to activate the app and make calls using it.
- If your iPhone is 4S or higher, you can even utilize Siri to activate the app. Keeping the ‘Home’ button pressed, you need to voice out, ‘Facetime’ and the name of the contact who you wish to contact. The app would become activated.
The phone number gets automatically registered in all the above cases. However, if you desire to update your email address as well, then you must go to Settings > FaceTime. Here you must use your Apple ID for FaceTime and sign in with your Apple ID. Your email would get registered.
Facetime Alternatives for iOS Device
Despite being a terrific app, Facetime does have its own restrictions like it does not support cross-platform support, group chatting or group call and numerous other restrictions. Moreover, it works best on Wi-Fi Connection which may not be possible while on the go! In these scenarios, you can opt for various Facetime alternatives which can give you all features of the Facetime app as well as those features which are not available on it. Few of the top popular ones to consider are:-
- Google Hangouts
- Google Duo
- Facebook Messenger
Each app has its unique features and drawbacks. You can browse them and select the one that best meets your needs.
How to Make Facetime Call from iPhone
Since Facetime is an inbuilt app on iOS devices, making a phone call with it is a breeze and as easy as making any other regular call. Let’s check out the various ways of making audio and video calls with the Facetime app.
- Steps to making a Facetime audio call from iPhone
To make an audio call, you first launch the Facetime app from the home screen. Next, you tap the search bar which is often located in the upper center of the screen. You can then type in the phone number or email address of the contact. If the contact is saved in your phone contact list, it will appear. If a particular contact has multiple numbers or email, you get the option to select one. All you need to do is now tap the phone button which is a receiver like icon.
- Steps to making a Facetime video call from iPhone
The procedure for this is precisely the same as making an audio call but instead of tapping the phone button, you tap the video call button which looks like a video camera.
- Switching from a regular call to a Facetime call
You might be on a regular call with a person and decide in the middle of the call to switch to a Facetime call. Generally, you must disconnect and dial again but on iPhones, you can just tap and open the call menu and tap on the Facetime option to start Facetiming. Sometimes this option is grayed out which implies that the other person has either shut down his Facetime or is not an Apple device user.
- Switching from a Facetime Video call to an audio call
Anytime during a video call, you can convert it to an audio call. All you need to do is press the Home button while on the call. The Home screen would appear. As long as you are outside the app, the video would remain paused but the two-way audio would continue uninterrupted. You can return to the Facetime app to resume your video chatting.
- Using Siri for a Facetime call
Keeping the Home button pressed and speaking, ‘Hey Siri’ would activate Siri. Now you can say either the Facetime apple id of the person you wish to call or simply Facetime. In the second instance, Siri would first enquire about the audio or video call and then would ask for the Facetime apple id of the person; you desire to connect with. You just need to wait out the time now Siri takes to connect the call.
- Using Facetime audio with call waiting
If your phone is version is iOS8 and higher, you can take advantage of the call waiting feature as well. If you are on a Facetime audio call and another call comes through, you have the option to put your current call on hold or even terminate it and accept the incoming call. You can also continue with your current call and decline the incoming call.
How to Pause a Facetime Call
Pausing a Facetime call means ending your video streaming while the audio continues uninterrupted. You might choose this option anytime during the call if you need to be away from the system or you need to do other work without interrupting the conversation with the person at the other end. We have already discussed one method of converting video calls into audio calls on iPhones. You can use the same method on other iOS devices as well. Other ways to pause a Facetime call are:-
- You can click on the Facetime icon and select the option, ‘Hide Facetime’. It would put your video streaming on hold while audio will continue uninterrupted. For resuming the call back, you can again click on the Facetime icon.
How to Add a Facetime Contact ?
The phone number and the Apple ID email address are two default ways in which you can contact another person or they can contact you using the Facetime app. While you phone number tends to remain the same, you can remove the email id and add a different one or add alternative email address while keeping the default one as well intact. If you are receiving or making any call to any number or email address for the first time using the Facetime app, you get the option to create a Facetime contact of it.
- If you click on any audio or video log and find the caller listed with just number or email address, you can either use the Touch Bar or click on the Info tab. You have a new window popping up where you can fill in the contact person’s details like name, surname, company etc. Finally, you need to click on ‘Create’ to finish the addition of a Facetime contact.
- You can also create a favorite list of contacts that you need to be just a touch away. For it, first open your contact list and select the contact you desire to add. The contact also needs to have an active Facetime ID. Now tap on ‘Add to Favorites’. You would have the option to add it to the Favorite list of ‘Voice Calls’ or ‘Facetime’. You can select Facetime and a cam icon would appear beside it to denote the Facetime favorite list.
How to Know if Someone Has Blocked You on Facetime?
The blocking feature was formally introduced by Apple since iOS 7. With advancing technology, this allows people to block number and address of those people with whom they prefer no further contact. Like you block numbers, your number too can be blocked by any person either intentionally or unintentionally. The fantastic thing about the iOS platform is that you can get a comprehensive clue about it. Your call going straight to voicemail after one ring indicates that your number is blocked. Likewise, if you send a test using iMessage and just receive notification of ‘Delivered’ and not ‘Read at,’ this means that they have blocked you. You can also get a similar indication on Facetime.
To understand, if you have been blocked on Facetime, just try calling that person via the app. If your call is simply ringing with nonresponse for an infinite time; it means that you have been blocked. This is because the app gives you the impression that the call is going through but no communication is actually taking place.
For a comprehensive verification, you should try all three methods and if all are giving a consistent and same result; you know for certain that you have been blocked.
Do Facetime Support Conference Call and Group Chat?
Group calling and video chatting are almost considered a default feature with most video calling apps. Unfortunately, Facetime provides you just one-to-one video and audio calls. If you try a three-way Facetime, it will disconnect the first person whom you placed on hold and make a fresh second call to the second person. While conference call and group chat are not possible so far by Facetime; it is believed that this feature would become available iOS 11. Going by the buzz, the app would support a group chat or video call of up to 5 persons. However, official confirmation of this feature by Apple is still pending.
How to Record Facetime on iPhone?
Facetime lacks a screen recording feature in itself and hence it cannot record the call by itself but can do it seamlessly by making use of third-party software like Apowersoft iPhone/iPad Recorder. While there is no Facetime Video Recorder, the Apowersoft software has been exclusively designed for the iOS platform. You can also record your Facetime call on your iPhone using your Mac. Let’s check out few top methods of recording Facetime on iPhone.
- Record Facetime with Mac on iPhone
We do this using QuickTime which is a free and native Mac application. Foremost, you connect your iPhone with Mac, click on ‘Trust’ for a successful connection and then launch QuickTime on Mac. In the QuickTime, go to File and click New Movie Recording. Click on the Down arrow near the Record Button. Next, set up the camera, microphone and the iPhone. Initiate a video call from Facetime and hit record for the call to be captured. You can stop post call and then go back to QuickTime and save the call in the right location.
- Recording without Mac
On your iPhone and even iPad, you can download free software like Display Recorder, Call Recorder for Facetime, IMCapture etc. With these, you can record and store your video files on your iPhones to enjoy later. Each software has its own unique specialty and you can easily choose that one that best fits your bill.
Ways to Check the Data Usage by Facetime ?
Being a video and audio application, it goes without saying that the app consumes data. The minutes do not matter much when you are on Wi-Fi connection but it can hurt when on a cellular connection. Even without this consideration, you might be curious to know about the data usage per call, be it audio or video. Fortunately, you can check individual call data usage in two ways.
Checking total data used in a call in the Facetime app
You can check any call data usage within the Facetime app itself. For it:
- From the iPhone Home Screen, tap on Facetime to open the app.
- Now, you can tap on either the Audio or Video buttons located at the top. It would list out all your call logs whose history had not been deleted.
- Beside each call, there would be an ‘I’ button for information.
- Tapping on it will give you detailed information about that call including the data used on that call.
Checking total data used by Facetime in the Phone app
You can also check the total data that has been used by the Facetime via the Phone app. For it
- Launch the Phone App and click on ‘Recents’ which is located in the bottom navigation.
- You can tap either Audio or Video tab at the top to select a call.
- You would find the ‘I’ tab beside it. Click on it to get the required information.
Checking Overall Facetime cellular data usage
You can also check the overall accumulated data used by the Facetime app. For it, tap the Settings app on iPhone and tap on Cellular. In the appeared list, scroll down to Facetime. You will find the data usage for the current period provided you have reset your cellular data counter. Otherwise, it would reflect lifetime usage. For monthly monitoring, you can easily reset it at the start of the monthly data cycle.
Logging out of Facetime on a Mac
Keeping Facetime on every time can be disturbing as calls may come at random hours. Thus, you have the flexibility to turn the app off for the duration you do not wish to receive any calls on it. To achieve it on the Mac
- Launch the app and click on ‘Preferences’ from the Menu options.
- There would be a switch next to Facetime.
- Turn it off and click ‘Done’.
If you wish to do the same on iPhone, tap on Home button<< Settings<< Phone<< Facetime. Turn the settings to ‘Off’. Exit out of all apps.
How to Use Facetime with Apple TV?
If you own an Apple TV, you can actually enjoy your Facetime on Apple TV. This also allows you to share your communication with a larger audience, something which is not possible with the comparatively small screen of the iPhone. For it, you would need the Airplay which is a service that facilitates connecting multiple Apple devices through stream audio and video. The steps to do it are:-
- Both devices should first be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Facetime application on your iPhone.
- Next, double-click the Home button, click on Fast App Switcher to locate Airplay.
- Tap on Airplay. Select Apple TV as the source of video streaming.
- Click on the Mirroring tab to enable you to use your iPhone for audio communications while the video will be visible on the Apple TV.
We hope, you have found adequate information about the Facetime App and are now able to use it in a much better way. If you like this article, do spread the word about it. For any queries, suggestions or experience-sharing, do chime in below in the comments box. We would love to receive any feedback from you as well as clarify any of your doubts.